Singapore Divorce lawyer FAQ's

Question: I would like to know more about the divorce process in Singapore. We got married one year ago. I have decided to ask for a divorce and move on with my life as we just cannot get along. I suspect my wife lies to me a lot about her job and earnings.

Is that a reason to get a divorce in Singapore? I really cannot live with her anymore.

We got married in the US. Can we divorce here in Singapore? (I am a citizen here and she is a PR)

Answer: As your marriage is under 3 years, we would need to file an application to Court to seek permission to file for divorce. You would need a psychiatrist report to show that you have suffered exceptional hardship as a result of the divorce. For more information, you can refer to:

http://www.singaporedivorcelawyer.com.sg/i-have-been-married-for-less-than-3-years-can-i-get-a-divorce/

Thereafter, if the Court grants you permission, you can file for a divorce.

In the alternative, we propose that you consider a separation agreement - you would be separated for 3 years and thereafter you can file for a divorce. The benefit is that with all terms settled, your divorce in the future will hopefully be less acrimonious.

You can also consider going for an annulment. For more information: http://www.singaporedivorcelawyer.com.sg/annulment/
Singapore Divorce lawyer FAQ's Singapore Divorce lawyer FAQ's Reviewed by Divorce Law Singapore on 2/13/2016 Rating: 5

No comments: