How Do I Tell My Wife That I Want A Divorce?


Telling your wife of your intentions of getting a divorce can often be the most difficult step in the process. As much as it is difficult, how, when and what you tell your wife can set the course and tone for an amicable divorce.

Don’t blindside your wife – The more surprised or shocked your wife is by your revelation, the more difficult it can get for your wife to accept and come to terms with the divorce. This may lead to a more difficult transition for you and your wife because your wife may be experiencing anger and denial. It is better to have early discussions on your feelings about your relationship so your wife has an idea of how you feel.

Find the right words – Be direct and compassionate, and state your feelings about the relationship truthfully rather than use words of blame and shame on your wife. Your wife may get emotional, but stay calm and be open to discuss the situation with her.

Telling your wife of your intentions in the right manner can minimise negative fallout and help make the divorce procedure much more amicable. If you and your wife are able to agree on settlement terms, it will save both parties money and the emotional stress of a traditional contested divorce. It also means that you can lodge your divorce using the one Singapore divorce lawyer.

READ MORE: The Divorce Process – In a Nutshell

Can I divorce in Singapore?
How Do I Tell My Wife That I Want A Divorce? How Do I Tell My Wife That I Want A Divorce? Reviewed by Divorce Law Singapore on 9/14/2016 Rating: 5

No comments: